If you are looking for Scholarships for Indian Students to Study Abroad in (USA, UK, Europe) for MS and PhD programs then read this full article where you will find details of Inlaks Scholarships, scholarships in UK and scholarships in USA as well as scholarships in America with scholarships in Europe and also a guideline of how to study in UK for free and how to study in USA for free. Tips on how to get a scholarship for PhD and how to get scholarships with suggestions for scholarship for master’s programs and scholarship for master’s degree.
Inlaks Scholarships – given by the Inlaks foundation
Why have I chosen this scholarship –
- it is one of the most popular graduate scholarships in India, both due to its reputation and the size of funding.
- It covers the entire cost of your education abroad
- It goes beyond STEM fields into law, social sciences, humanities, fine arts, music, theatre etc.
- It covers education in UK, USA and Europe
The InlaksFoundation has been awarding scholarships since 1976 and its alumni list reads like the who’s who of India including Vir Sanghvi, BarkhaDutt, Amitav Ghosh, so it’s a competitive scholarship and they are looking for the best of the best
Azad Shivdasani (the current Chair of the Inlaks Foundation) once said that while in some ways the Inlaks is the most easy-going of scholarships: for once you have received it, you have no liability to them after the period of study is complete.
The Degree – Most recipients are going to pursue master’s programs. There are also some PhD applicants. Not applicable for undergrad
Fields / Domains –There is no clear written rule on this but Inlaks focuses on Liberal arts, environment and law. The following subjects are not eligible: Engineering, Computer Science, Business Studies, Medicine, Public Health, Fashion Designand Film Animation. In Music they will consider only western classical singing. The reason for this is that they felt that there are many other funding opportunities available for these programs including bank loans on easy terms, so they decided to concentrate more on those courses where there is relatively less support available.
However, The Foundation has joint scholarship schemes with Imperial College, London, Royal College of Art (RCA), London, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), London, Cambridge Trust, Cambridge and SciencesPo, Paris and in case you plan to study at these colleges, and your application gets approved, you might be able to get a larger amount sanctioned. Therefore, Exceptions -in the case of Imperial College, London, scholarships will be given for Engineering and Computer Science.
- Indian citizens who are resident in India at the time of application.
- Candidates should have a good undergrad degree from a recognized university in India. This implies that diplomas will not be considered. Also, degrees from top colleges with top grades will get you closer to getting the scholarship.
- Indian citizens who hold a good undergraduate degree from a recognized university outside India, must have resided continuously and been employed or been studying in India, for at least two years, after their under-graduation.
- People having a postgraduate degree (e.g. master’s or PhD) from a university outside India are not eligible; those who have started but not completed a postgraduate degree outside India are also ineligible.
- It is essential to have prior admission to the institution and course chosen. The Foundation will not consider candidates without admission or pending admission. Unlike other scholarships like Rhodes or Commonwealth since Inlaks wants you to have a confirmed offer in hand before applying for the scholarship,
(Many of you ask me whether a three-year undergrad degree is eligible. Well since a confirmed offer is required, it would all depend on the admission criteria of the respective college, there are no rules stipulated by the foundation on this criteria)
- The institutions concerned must only be top rank.
- Candidates must be below 30 years of age on the first of July in the year of application.
- Candidates who are already studying or have started their program abroad are not eligible.
- The award of other grants, teaching assistantships and support from other sources for the proposed program will be regarded by the Foundation as a positive factor.
- The Foundation also encourages applications from young people currently employed.
So, what should you be concerned about?
- Your achievements, academic and extracurricular. Prove to them that you are an achiever.
- Your potential. Show them what your dreams are and what you want to achieve in the future.
- The suitability of your course, project or program. You must persuade them that the course/ program is right for you and that you are right for it. A big part of convincing them is being convinced yourself.
The award –
covering tuition fees, adequate living expenses and one-way travel provided the total amount required does not exceed USD 100,000 (for the entire program). If the total funding required exceeds US$100,000, you must show evidence that you can cover full funding for their courses at the time of their interviews (preferably through other grants, teaching assistantships not through loans). The Foundation does not cover candidates that are not fully funded. It will always work to your advantage to be able to show a clear source of part funding arrangement
Applications open around January and close around April each year. Interviews are conducted in Mumbai or Delhi in May/June each year. You need to make your own arrangements for your travel and accommodation. The interviews are in person and there is no provision for skype or telephonic interviews.
Given thatInlaks wants you to have a confirmed offer in hand before applying for the scholarship, their dates are also later than the dates for the other scholarships
Scholarships are awarded in May/ June generally for commencement in subsequent September and October.
Application Procedure –
- Two copies of the application form with all sections duly filled in. Take your time to fill this in since every word you put in here is important. The application form can be downloaded from the website.
- CV / Resume
- Passport Copy – Photocopy of the first and last pages of your passport.
- Recommendation Letters – Submit three recommendation letters together with your applicationin sealed envelopes. It is preferable that two of your referees should be academics who have taught you in your undergraduate studies.
- Offer Letter – Evidence of admission to a university or a course,
- Fee Statement – A full detail of the institute’s financial requirements.
- Funding statement – A clear declaration must be made of all funding received for your course. In case you have applied for another course, for which you are not applying to Inlaks for funding, at the same or another institution and have an offer of funding from elsewhere, you must inform us of the same even if it is not your intention to avail of that offer.
- Portfolio – Candidates in architecture, fine and applied arts, and related subjects must submit a maximum of 10 samples of their work on a CD / DVD .Candidates for Film, Dance, Acting, and Music (Western classical singing) must also submit a CD / DVD. Three sets of CDs/ DVDs must be submitted. A portfolio may be submitted also if it is not too bulky.
- Outstanding achievement certificate – Evidence of any outstanding achievements in extra-curricular activities in any field.
- Do not send copies of academic certificates with the completed form.
- To Sum up – Your application should be submitted with these enclosures in the following order:
- 2 sets of application forms
- CV/ Resume
- Recommendation letters (3)
- Offer letter
- Fee Statement
- Writing samples (if any)
- Language test results (if any)
- Photocopy of the first and last page of your passport
- Additional Certificates (extra curriculum)
- Portfolios if not too bulky / DVD (architecture/fine arts/ film / media)
- The Application form should be typed out and printed. All documents should be enclosed into one envelope and sent my mail / courier to the address for the Foundation found on the application form.
Links to the Inlaks foundation website – http://inlaksfoundation.org/scholarships/