This article will tell you everything you want to know about having a career in the field of hotel management after 12th including the Eligibility, Salary & Courses. Everything you want to know about having a Career In Hotel Management After 12th, strategies to have a career in hotel management, advantages of a career in hotel management after 12th, disadvantages of hotel management, different hotel management course, skills required for a hotel management career and how to do hotel management after inter. Also find details of hotel management salary.
Jobs available after completion of the program
- Large hotel chains including the Taj group, ITC, Oberoi hotels, Hilton group etc. or
- Restaurant chains, resorts, clubs or fast food chains,
- Merchant navy and cruise ships
- Airline Catering (flight kitchen) and Cabin Services,
- Hospital administration and catering,
- Government owned catering departments, e.g., railway, armed forces, ministerial conventions, Hotel and Tourism Associations, banks etc.
Advantages of a career in hotel management
- You can work abroad
- You can have a lifelong career
- You can easily become an entrepreneur too
- You can jump across industries (as hospitality employees are considered for opportunities in other sectors like aviation/banking/insurance/retail/tourism in customer service/interface departments)
- You can pursue this field after doing Arts / Commerce / Science or any specialisation in 12th
Disadvantages of a career in hotel management
- Working hours can be long
- Needs a lot of patience and perseverance
- Salary levels may not be very high in the initial years
- Working on weekends and holidays.
Skills required for hotel management
One should have smart and pleasant personality and excellent communication skills as it requires extensive customer interaction. You should be a ‘people’s person’ and having a “service heart” helps. You should also be willing to meet and network with a wide range of people. Analytical skills and logical reasoning would be required for the entrance exam
- Diploma in Hotel Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM)
- Bachelor of Arts in Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Science in Hotel Management
- BA (Hons) in Hotel Management
- BBA in Hotel Management
- Master of Science in Hotel Management
- MBA in Hotel Management
- Certificate Courses in Hotel and Catering Management
Colleges offering Hotel management are
There are 24 central IHMs, or Institute of Hotel Management, all over India, with the top 4 being IHM Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai, in order.
Choose the best institute because the chances of employment are generally higher from the top institute
Certificate Course: The certificate courses are generally short-term courses for the duration of 6 months to one year. The candidates can pursue these courses after completing 12th class.
Diploma Course: A candidate must pass class 10th or 12th with minimum 40% marks having English as a compulsory subject.
Degree Course: for an undergraduate degree in hotel management, the candidate must be 12th passed with minimum 50% and having English as a compulsory subject. This is the most popular route chosen – it is a three-year course
Postgraduate Degree course: After completing an undergraduate degree program, the candidate may go for a postgraduate program. The basic eligibility for this program is 45% marks in graduation from a recognized university.
National Council for Hotel Management & Catering Technology (NCHMCT) conducts the JEE (Joint Entrance Examination) to offer admission in three years of B.Sc Hospitality & Hotel management courses. This is conducted in the month of April. The application for the same is out in the month December. Apart from this there are various others hotel management entrance exam, conducted by the big hotel chains for admission in the own training institutes.
If you are working with the five-star hotel chains, then the starting salary could be anything around Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 22,000 per month. After some experience the salary could be anywhere between Rs. 30,000 to Rs. 45,000 per month.